Perma-Gel Ballistic Gel Mix
Technical Information: Perma-Gel Ballistic Gel
This product is the mix used to create one large test block of 17.5" x 11.5" x 5"
Perma-Gel (from the manufacturer):
Perma-Gel is a synthetic, clear, non-toxic "soft tissue" medium for the testing and comparison of different types of projectiles and loads, which is conveniently recyclable by a simple melting process. In developing this product, Perma-Gel has kept two main objectives in mind:
- To provide hunters, shooters, hand loaders and ballisticians with a room-temperature ballistic medium that closely simulates cold (4° C) 10% ordnance gelatin without its inherent decomposition problems.
- To provide the user with the ability to re-melt/reuse the medium by simply using a 110-volt appliance (available as part of a kit).
In limited testing, Perma-Gel has found that trajectory, deformation and permanent wound cavities created by expanding, high-velocity (i.e., above about 1600 fps) bullets are very similar to those created in gelatin.
Using Perma-Gel to evaluate low-velocity (i.e., less than 1600 fps) bullets will show somewhat lesser degrees of bullet expansion than in gelatin, and studying non-expanding ("Full Metal Jacket") bullets will show greater penetration. lthough "temporary" cavities are not normally studied by individual shooters, the professional ballistician will find that high-speed photography will record remarkable views of temporary cavities, owing to the superior clarity of Perma-Gel.
The total weight of the product, including the product’s packaging as it sits on our shelf. Since some products ship directly from the Manufacturer, their weight may be unavailable. Because of variations in the manufacturing process, similar products may have differing weights. Unless the product is designated as “Ships Alone”, Shipping Weight does not include the shipping box or packing materials associated with your order.
Product ships from MidwayUSA, separate from any other products on your order due to its size. Products that are Shipped Alone incur separate "Per Order" and "Per Pound" shipping charges.
Product is regulated by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) and cannot be shipped via USPS or air shipping methods. DOT-Regulated products must ship UPS Ground.
Product is restricted by shipping carriers and cannot be shipped to certain locations or via certain shipping methods.
Additional shipping charge for HazMat products. Carriers charge extra to ship packages with products they consider hazardous, such as reloading powder and primers.
The statements and opinions expressed within Customer Reviews reflect each author's personal perspective and do not imply endorsement by MidwayUSA, its Employees or any other organization. Customers should in no way infer that MidwayUSA has validated review information as safe, accurate or appropriate.
- MidwayUSA Ultimate 10 Earmuffs by Peltor (NRR 30dB) Black... $15.99
- EGW Extractor 1911 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 10mm Series 70... $23.99
- Howell Old West Conversions Conversion Cylinder 44 Caliber... $219.99
- Certified Pure Tin Bullet Casting Alloy (99.9% Pure) 1 lb Bag... $23.99
- Lee Universal Shellholder #14 (38-40 WCF, 44-40 WCF, 45... $3.69
- Colt Firing Pin Stop 1911 38 Super, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP Series... $8.99 - $9.99 View More Options