Perma-Gel Ballistic Gel Mix
- Lee Auto Prime XR Hand Priming Tool... $16.99 Available
- Frankford Arsenal Flip-Top Ammo Box #1005 17 Remington, 204... $4.49 Select Options
- Caldwell Orange Peel Target 2" Self-Adhesive Bullseye (5 Bulls... $5.49 Available
- Caldwell Resetting Target System 22 Caliber Rimfire Steel... $17.99 Available
- Champion VisiChalk Target Multi-Color Case of 48... $9.99 Available
- Sierra BlitzKing Bullets 20 Caliber (204 Diameter) 39 Grain... $22.99 - $106.99 Select Options
- Tipton Snap Cap 308 Winchester Polymer Package of 2... $11.99 Available
- CCI Small Pistol Primers #500... $29.99 - $141.99 Select Options
- MTM Deluxe Flip-Top Ammo Box with Handle 264 Winchester Magnum... $9.99 Select Options
- Frankford Arsenal Flip-Top Ammo Box #504 218 Bee, 221... $2.99 Select Options
- Caldwell Orange Peel Target 4" Self-Adhesive Bullseye (4 Bulls... $4.49 - $40.99 Select Options
- MTM Universal Reloading Tray 50-Round Plastic Red... $6.99 Available
Technical Information: Perma-Gel Ballistic Gel
This product is the mix used to create one large test block of 17.5" x 11.5" x 5"
Perma-Gel (from the manufacturer):
Perma-Gel is a synthetic, clear, non-toxic "soft tissue" medium for the testing and comparison of different types of projectiles and loads, which is conveniently recyclable by a simple melting process. In developing this product, Perma-Gel has kept two main objectives in mind:
- To provide hunters, shooters, hand loaders and ballisticians with a room-temperature ballistic medium that closely simulates cold (4° C) 10% ordnance gelatin without its inherent decomposition problems.
- To provide the user with the ability to re-melt/reuse the medium by simply using a 110-volt appliance (available as part of a kit).
In limited testing, Perma-Gel has found that trajectory, deformation and permanent wound cavities created by expanding, high-velocity (i.e., above about 1600 fps) bullets are very similar to those created in gelatin.
Using Perma-Gel to evaluate low-velocity (i.e., less than 1600 fps) bullets will show somewhat lesser degrees of bullet expansion than in gelatin, and studying non-expanding ("Full Metal Jacket") bullets will show greater penetration. lthough "temporary" cavities are not normally studied by individual shooters, the professional ballistician will find that high-speed photography will record remarkable views of temporary cavities, owing to the superior clarity of Perma-Gel.
The statements and opinions expressed within Customer Reviews reflect each author's personal perspective and do not imply endorsement by MidwayUSA, its Employees or any other organization. Customers should in no way infer that MidwayUSA has validated review information as safe, accurate or appropriate.