"Antlers: A Guide to Collecting, Scoring, Mounting, and Carving" Book by Dennis Walrod
Sneek Peak of Chapters
Excerpt from the Book: "Elk, caribou and moose, all generally being creatures of more open areas, rely on their oversized antlers in part for long-distance connection and recognition. In the tundra and open prairie, though, the constant force of the blowing wind can exact a price for that communication."
Date of Publication: 2005
Number of Pages: 256
Summary of Material (from the publisher):
There's no question that antlers are hot these days, with collectors paying top dollar for quality racks and everyone from hunters to hikers searching for them in fields and backwoods across the country. Handicraft techniques have moved far beyond the basic trophy mount as well, and one can find antler knives, antler pipes, and even antler chandeliers in shops and homes. Dennis Walrod's Antlers offers an entertaining and informative survey of all things antler, from their biology to their role in Native American culture to the sordid side of the antler boom. (Dubbed "the new ivory" by some, they have a lively presence on the Asian aphrodisiac market.) The book is also loaded with practical information and step-by-step instructions for collectors and craftsmen, designed to maximize the use (and profit) you can get out of your antlers.
About the Author:
Dennis Walrod has written for a number of outdoor magazines, including Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, and Gray's Sporting Journal. He is also the author of the books Making the Most of Your Deer (0-8117-3162-6) and Grouse Hunter's Guide (0- 8117-0772-5). He lives in western New York State.
Notes: paperback, 76 black and white photos, 13 illustrations, 27 charts, 6" x 9"
- The total weight of the product, including the product’s packaging as it sits on our shelf. Since some products ship directly from the Manufacturer, their weight may be unavailable. Because of variations in the manufacturing process, similar products may have differing weights. Unless the product is designated as “Ships Alone”, Shipping Weight does not include the shipping box or packing materials associated with your order. Shipping Weight: 0.800 Pounds
- Product ships from MidwayUSA, separate from any other products on your order due to its size. Products that are Shipped Alone incur separate "Per Order" and "Per Pound" shipping charges. Ships Alone: No
- Product is regulated by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) and cannot be shipped via USPS or air shipping methods. DOT-Regulated products must ship UPS Ground. DOT-Regulated: No
- Product is restricted by shipping carriers and cannot be shipped to certain locations or via certain shipping methods. Carrier Restrictions: No
- Additional shipping charge for HazMat products. Carriers charge extra to ship packages with products they consider hazardous, such as reloading powder and primers. HazMat Product: No
Thank you! Your valuable feedback helps improve our product information and offering.
The statements and opinions expressed within Customer Reviews reflect each author's personal perspective and do not imply endorsement by MidwayUSA, its Employees or any other organization. Customers should in no way infer that MidwayUSA has validated review information as safe, accurate or appropriate.