Hogue OverMolded Rifle Stock Remington 700 BDL Long Action Factory Barrel Channel Pillar Bed Rubber Black
Special instructions from Hogue:
To maximize the accuracy potential of your Remington 700, your new stock has been designed to free float the barrel and register tightly against the sides of the recoil lug. Although because of slight angular variations in the recoil lug's location in each rifle, it can cause the barrel to contact one side of the barrel channel. This can be left alone and the rifle will operate properly with no modification and some rifles will not need adjustment if the barrel naturally centers itself. If the barrel does not self-center and you desire the optimum accuracy from your rifle, it is necessary to slightly rotate the recoil lug to correctly float the barrel. We have successfully performed this by following these steps:
1. Unload the rifle and remove the bolt.
2. With a pencil, mark the starting orientation between the barrel, lug and action.
3. Lay the action on a solid padded surface while holding the barrel firmly in the weak hand.
4. With a soft medium sized brass hammer, strike the bottom corner of the recoil lug in the opposite direction you want the barrel to float in the stock. The recoil lug is a separate piece of steel held tightly between the barrel and action. It will rotate. Only a very small amount of movement is necessary and can be observed by the pencil mark.
5. Keep making small adjustments while checking the fit until the barrel centers when the floor plate is bolted tightly to the rifle.
Note: If you do not feel confident, we recommend a competent gunsmith perform this adjustment for you. Take these instructions with you.
Another acceptable method is to carve out the recoil lug pocket in the stock and bed it with suitable bedding compound. Again, the rifle will operate properly without any modification to either the stock or the rifle.
The statements and opinions expressed within Customer Reviews reflect each author's personal perspective and do not imply endorsement by MidwayUSA, its Employees or any other organization. Customers should in no way infer that MidwayUSA has validated review information as safe, accurate or appropriate.