Gun Guides Takedown Guide "Mauser Rifles 98k, M48 & All Variants" Book
Excerpt from this Guide:
A Brief history of the Mauser K98k and M48
Based on the success of the Mauser Gewehr 98 long rifle (Gew 98), adopted by the German Army in 1898 and used throughout World War I, there was a demand for a shorter version that could be used by cavalry and stormtroop units. The Karabiner 98 Kurz (carbine 98 short) was developed in the 1930's from the standard rifle-length Karabiner 98b and was adopted by Nazi Germany in 1935. This would become the standard rifle for the German army, navy, and airforce until the end of World War II commonly known as the K98k, Kar98, or Mauser 98k.
Over 14 million of these rifles were produced by various manufacturers. However, this number includes versions of the rifle other than the K98k, such as the Czech vz-24.
In 1900, Springfield Armory paid Mauser $200,000 to incorporate the action into the US 1903 Springfield.
From 1950 to 1965, Yugoslavia's Zavodi Crvena Zastava factory (Red Banner Works) manufactured almost an exact clone of the 98k. The Model 1948, has a shorter bolt-action found on the Model 1924 Mauser rifles. The M48 was manufactured with all milled parts. The M48A has a stamped magazine floorplate and trigger guard. The M48B was made with additional stamped parts.
In 1953, the Spanish were manufacturing a slightly modified version, but with a straight bolt handle. CZ and FN also produced new K98k rifles after the war, many of which were assembled from leftover German parts.
With a little research you will quickly find that there are a few dozen other countries that have produced Mauser type rifles. Argentina, Brazil, Czechoslovakia, China, Iran, Mexico, Peru, Poland, Sweden, Turkey, and Venezuela have also benefited from Paul and Wilhelm's Mauser's inventive genius.
The Mauser 98 series rifle is the longest serving combat rifle in history.
- The total weight of the product, including the product’s packaging as it sits on our shelf. Since some products ship directly from the Manufacturer, their weight may be unavailable. Because of variations in the manufacturing process, similar products may have differing weights. Unless the product is designated as “Ships Alone”, Shipping Weight does not include the shipping box or packing materials associated with your order. Shipping Weight: 0.075 Pounds
- Product ships from MidwayUSA, separate from any other products on your order due to its size. Products that are Shipped Alone incur separate "Per Order" and "Per Pound" shipping charges. Ships Alone: No
- Product is regulated by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) and cannot be shipped via USPS or air shipping methods. DOT-Regulated products must ship UPS Ground. DOT-Regulated: No
- Product is restricted by shipping carriers and cannot be shipped to certain locations or via certain shipping methods. Carrier Restrictions: No
- Additional shipping charge for HazMat products. Carriers charge extra to ship packages with products they consider hazardous, such as reloading powder and primers. HazMat Product: No
Thank you! Your valuable feedback helps improve our product information and offering.
The statements and opinions expressed within Customer Reviews reflect each author's personal perspective and do not imply endorsement by MidwayUSA, its Employees or any other organization. Customers should in no way infer that MidwayUSA has validated review information as safe, accurate or appropriate.
- Gun Guides Takedown Guide "Model 1903 Springfield Rifles" Book
MTM Slip-Top Ammo Box 270 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield,...
Nosler "Reloading Guide #8" Reloading Manual
$22.99 & SHIPS FREE with $25 Orders
Nosler Custom Competition Bullets 30 Caliber (308 Diameter)...
Sale — Select ItemsView More Options$26.29 - $256.99Save up to $12.00 (16%)
Dewey "No Harm" Bench Rest Style Rifle Bore Brush Bronze
"A Master Gunmaker's Guide to Building Bolt-Action Rifles"...
$19.99 & SHIPS FREE with $25 Orders
Wildlife Research Center Scent Killer Gold 24/24 Scent...
Sale$15.49Save $1.50 (9%)
- Gun Guides Takedown Guide "AK-47: AKM & All Variants" Book
- Loadbooks USA "8x57mm Mauser (8mm Mauser)" Reloading Manual
RCBS Collet Bullet Puller Collet 35 Caliber, 9mm (357 Diameter)
Power Custom AK-47 Flat 7.62x39mm with Trunnion Holes with Top...
Wildlife Research Scent Killer Gold Scent Elimination Laundry...
Sale$8.99Save $3.00 (25%)