Top 5 Mountain Boots for Elk Hunting
Elk hunting often requires quickly navigating long distances in rough and rocky terrain, and weather at higher altitudes is always subject to change. All of that means elk hunters need sturdy and comfortable boots, capable of performing in a variety of weather conditions. Here is a selection of some of the best boots for elk hunting.
When you think about mountain hunting, think of the Guide GTX on your feet. With all the same features and technologies as its little brother, the Nevada, this boot takes it up a notch with an extra 2” of ankle support. No more needing to worry about busted up ankles during long, heavy packouts. The Guide GTX has got you (and your ankles) covered.
- Crispi has developed a system called A.B.S.S. (Ankle Bone Support System). A.B.S.S. revolutionizes the comfort and protection of the entire ankle area thanks to a combination of innovative materials that allow the footwear to contour gently your ankle. This system offers outstanding sprain protection even on the roughest terrain whilst supporting the ankle in all conditions, thus limiting fatigue on the lower joints even after very long walks.
- Crispi's Board Lasting Mechanical construction is tradition combined with Technology. The perfect connection between torsion rigidity and flexibility achieved thanks to a mechanical process that wraps the comfortable and soft part of the upper to the insole frame.
- Crispi Crossbow Frame brings an innovation on the shock absorbing system sole by associating the request of stability, comfort and technology in a high quality product. This insert made in plastic material follows a particular form in a waving module which offers a perfect stability, sustaining the foot and, at the same time, absorbing the shocks during the walk.
- Ankle Bone Support System offers outstanding sprain protection
- Vibram sole
- Board Lasting Mechanical Construction
- Crispi Crossbow Frame
What Customers Are Saying
I am an Oregon hunter who likes to cover a lot of miles-and I am very picky about my boots! Over the course of 30 years of big game hunting, I have tried many different boots in my quest to find the perfect pair. I am a 9 or 9 1/2W in most boots. I have a pair of Crispi Summit's in 9 1/2 W for warm weather hunts that I love so I decided on the "Guide" for my 2019 archery elk and rifle deer seasons. I ordered the 10W so I could have a little more room for mid weight socks but Midway USA accidentally sent me a 10D. After tying them on, they actually felt great! I took the insoles out and they were exactly the same as my "Summits" in 9 1/2W but the boot was just a tiny bit roomier where I needed them to be. So, I went ahead and applied some Obenauf's LP boot conditioner and threw them in the truck. The first day wearing them was on a rainy day hunt in 45-50 degree temps. We covered six miles through wet vegetation and up/down several steep and rocky slopes. The boots felt like little clouds hugging my feet w...
- C. Thompson, 10/13/2019
A serious boot for rugged terrain, the 10" Kenetrek Mountain Extreme is made with a one piece vamp of 2.8 mm top grain leather on top of stiff nylon midsoles with high traction K-Talon outsoles. A waterproof, breathable Windtex membrane keeps you warm and dry. Sure to become your favorite boot due to its awesome support, what will really surprise you is just how lightweight and comfortable they are. Made in Italy.
- 2.8 mm Top grain leather
- K-Talon outsoles
- Waterproof, Breathable Windtex membrane
- Thinsulate Insulation
What Customers Are Saying
Best boots for extreme terrains!!!!!
I am very tough on boots especially those for mountain hiking. These are great boots very well made, water proof, durable I use them in the Blue Ridge mountains in VA. Excellent grip very comfortable. I have the hardscrabble, 400 and the 1000 mountain extremes.
Stiff when you first get them, but become more and more comfortable after broken in (appoximately 25 to 35 miles). Then they become like gloves. They handle all terrains very well. I've had mine three years now just added the 1000's. Most good boots last me a year these have outweighed my expectations. I'm sold completely on these.
These boots are boots you can count on from start to finish they also have excellent customer service.
- Snyper 2, 1/5/2015
Sheep hunting tests you down to the core. It's brutal, exhausting & downright dangerous. We first started designing boots after an eight-day hunt in the Mackenzie Mountains of the Northwest Territories in 2002. The merciless country tested us in unimaginable ways, & I was winning the fight, until my feet made me want to lay down & die. What were once blisters became almost freakish gashes that took me down for the count. That's when I knew we had to design a better boot that could keep up with a high-country mountain sheep hunter. Since then, we've been designing, building & beating up boots in every brutal terrain conceivable, to make sure hunters, backpackers & hikers can go anywhere on the planet without ever experiencing boot failure. Today, thousands of outdoor enthusiasts wear Kenetrek boots to live their passions with unbelievable support, total comfort & confidence.
The Hanwag Trapper Top GTX Hunting Boots feature warm Gore-Tex lining and a graded memory insole for superior shape retention that ensures the boots always returns to its original form. These boots are perfect for late season hunts where you need a hardy boot to take on the terrain and harsh elements.
- High, protective rubber rand
- Cemented construction, easy to resole
- Extra-high uppers for marshy and boggy Winter terrain
- Vibram sole, designed especially by Hanwag – allows the foot to roll exceptionally smoothly
- Clamping lace hooks on top section of uppers for precise and rapid lacing
- Easy Roller: smooth ball bearing lacing system
- Flex zone at heel
- Shock Absorb: additional shock absorber in the heel
- Soft flex allows the foot to roll smoothly
You have to pack in, set up camp and then follow your instincts deep into the backcountry. The Powderhorn is the intersection of knowledge gleaned from decades of building premium high country boots and the performance strength of today’s leading technology. The result is a boot ready to get you there and back for years to come. The foundation for any shoe or boot is the last, as it determines the fit of the finished product. The Powderhorn boots are built on the 851 last, which in an improved version of the 850 last (making the original obsolete over time) with better overall fit, improved heel capture shape and silhouette. The Powderhorn also has a mesh liner layered over Danner Dry on tongue to help regulate both moisture and temperature. Multi-density foam patterning eliminates hotspots and pinch points. Danner Powderhorn outsole provides ultra-durable traction in diverse terrain and weather conditions. Bi-Fit integrated shank system offers increased rigidity in the heel and allows for flexibility in the forefoot.
OrthoLite's advanced open-cell foam footbed technology provides lightweight, long-term cushioning and comfort, high level breathability, moisture management, and antimicrobial function that enhances the performance of the shoe.
The GORE-TEX membrane offers breathable, comfortable waterproof protection across a wide range of outdoor activities.
- GORE-TEX waterproof breathable lining
- Handcrafted, stitchdown construction for strength and stability
- Cushioning triple-density, open cell PU OrthoLite footbed
- Danner Powderhorn outsole provides all weather traction
- Bi-Fit integrated shank system
What Customers Are Saying
yes i would by again
love the boots very comfortable easy to break in and run true to size
- darren, 1/12/2018
In 1932 Charles Danner opened his bootmaking business risking his future on a stubborn belief that, regardless of the economy, superior craftsmanship mattered. While much has changed since the first Danner boot was made, our dedication to crafting a superior product has not. Hold a Danner boot in your hand and you’ll notice the hand crafted precision. Try it on and you’ll feel the difference. Test it against the elements and you’ll appreciate the value of a product that is built to last.
A Danner boot is a mark of unwavering quality. It has been since 1932 and will be for years to come.
The Zamberlan 4014 Lynx Mid GTX RR BOA Hunting Boots feature two principle upgrades over the previous models for easier and more durable wear during early season archery hunts. First is the protective rubber toe rand. Second, is the BOA lacing system for easy on-off and improved fit. The 4014 Lynx Mid BOA is excellent for early-season back country bowhunting where a mid-high, protective, and non-insulated boot is required.
- The ZFS (Zamberlan Flex System) allows the upper to break forward comfortably without compromising lateral support and protection
- Gore-Tex Performance Comfort membranes provide waterproof protection and breathability and are guaranteed by Gore-Tex for the life of the boot
- Uppers feature Zamberlan’s latest leather creation with a unique camouflage blend to enhance your entire hunting kit, from head to boot
- Dual-density midsoles are made of PU with TPU stabilizers and Vibram's premiere backcountry rubber compound
- Camouflaged Zamberlan Vibram 3D outsoles are extremely rugged, provide excellent grip on a variety of terrain, and feature an uplifting forward rocker
- BOA lacing system, designed for quick on and off as well as easier adjusting of boot fit and tension. The BOA system eliminates lace breakage, laces coming undone, and laces catching on debris. The BOA system is guaranteed for the life of the boot
- Rubber toebox rand for better wear of the uppers without adding significant weight to the boot
What Customers Are Saying
Yes and no
alot of care is needed!!!water restence even with the zam hydro blocker. The hydro stuff sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! But really nice boot
- Mikey B, 2/4/2021