Buffalo Bore loads their ammunition with the highest quality components available to maximize the performance of the ammunition. This ammunition is safe to use in all 38 Special chambered firearms that are in proper working condition. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.
Owner of Buffalo Bore Tim Sundles on Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 Special Ammunition:
Due to customer demand, we've developed this defensive 38SPL ammo. Our customers wanted some devastating 38SPL loads that would fill the following criteria.
1. It won't hurt older/fragile/alloy revolvers. (Non +P)
2. Is effective as a "fight stopper" through the use of proper bullets.
3. Is more powerful than typical/standard, weak 38SPL ammo.
4. Generate much less recoil than our +P 38SPL ammo.
5. Is flash suppressed.
Buffalo Bore is introducing these three different heavy, yet standard pressure loadings for 38 SPL. These offerings are loaded at standard pressure, but they are much more powerful than normal 38SPL ammo. These loads will not harm older more fragile revolvers. So, these loads are safe for use in ANY 38 SPL revolver, provided it is in normal working condition. As stated above, the "POWER" level of these loads is really closer to a typical +P power level, but the pressure is standard. We are able to develop these powerful standard pressure loads with modern non-canister powders. Again, these loads recoil far less than our +P 38 SPL ammo.
Item 20E utilizes a Jacketed Hollow Point 125 gr. Jacketed hollow nose bullet. This bullet is designed to expand at low speeds and has no problem opening up at considerably less velocity than our advertised 900 fps, from two inch barrels. Penetration is roughly 12 inches. Note my test velocities below from real world, "over the counter" revolvers - NOT TEST BARRELS!
- S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel - 921 fps (235 ft. lbs.)
- S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch barrel - 938 fps (244 ft. lbs.)
- Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel - 1019 fps (288 ft. lbs.)
- S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch barrel - 1078 fps (322 ft. lbs.)