- The SAM Splint is lightweight: transportable and easy to pack and carry
- Fits in most standard First Aid kits
- Flexible in application: One device immobilizes nearly any bone in the body, affixes with any tape or wrap.
- Reusable: Wipes clean and is easily re-shapeable for another application.
- A backcountry “Must-Have”
The SAM Splint is based on an ancient construction principle: curves are strong. The same physics that allows skyscrapers and bridges to be built of I-beams and hollow columns (rather than heavy steel pillars) makes the SAM Splint strong.
Constructed of aluminum and closed cell foam, the SAM Splint bends easily like a flat piece of sheet metal. You can mold it into any of several “structural curves” to make it more rigid. Many such curves are possible, but you only need three basic curves to effectively immobilize bones — the C-Curve, Reverse C-Curve, and T-Curve.
The lightweight SAM Splint rolls compactly or folds flat, making it perfect for loading into your backpack. The standard size splint measures 4.25 x 36 inches and weighs 4 ounces.