The Swisher ESP Safety Shelter has undergone and passed testing at the National Wind Institute at Texas Tech University. The ESP Shelter has been tested and withstood a total of 9 impacts from 15 lb 2x4’s traveling at 100 mph. These impacts are equivalent to the force produced by an EF5 tornado with 250 mph winds. In addition it meets or exceeds all requirements put forth by NSSA, FEMA 320 and ICC-500 standards. ESP (Emergency – Security – Preparedness) Safety Shelters (ABOVE GROUND ONLY) offer the ultimate in multi-purpose protection and security for you and loved ones against violent acts of nature and multiple threats posed by man. Each ESP Safety Shelter is verified to be in compliance with the National Storm Shelter Association Standards (NSSA). Each ESP Safety Shelter will meet or exceed all ***FEMA P320/P361 and ICC-500 Code requirements*** when all installation guidelines are met (step-by-step installation checklist is provided with each ESP Safety Shelter). All Shelters have been designed by Registered Structural Engineers and have undergone a rigorous Third Party Review process. Made in the USA ESP Safety Shelters will withstand the most extreme tornado activity and offer a “safe zone” against home invasion offering critical minutes for emergency assistance to arrive. Statement from FEMA P-320: “Having a safe room built for your home or small business can help provide “near-absolute protection” for you and your family or employees from injury or death caused by the dangerous forces of extreme winds.” Near Absolute Protection definition from FEMA P-361: Level of protection afforded to the occupants of a safe room built according to the guidance in the most current edition of FEMA P-361. Current knowledge of tornadoes and hurricanes indicates that safe room occupants will have a very high probability of being protected from injury or death.
- ESP Storm Shelter that will provide near absolute protection from EF5 Tornado strikes.
- The ESP Shelter doubles as a “Panic Room” that will provide a high level of protection for you and your family against intruders.
- Versatile and strong enough to act as vault that provides protection for your valuables and other personal belongings. It is not fire rated due to the design requirements to withstand severe storms.
- The entire shelter is made from 3/16” (0.188”) thick carbon steel, all hardware is Grade 5, and the majority of all surfaces are powder coated for ultimate in protection and appearance.
- The door design and the materials used each critical aspects of any safety/storm shelter. The Swisher ESP Safety Shelter has a sliding reinforced steel door that is unique to the market and eliminates all the problems commonly associated with inward or outward swinging doors.
- When opened, the sliding door takes up no additional space inside or outside of the shelter. Also, because the door does not open outward, the likelihood of being trapped by debris after an event is greatly reduced or eliminated.
- A very high grade Security Grade Deadbolt is used to hold the latch bar into the locked position and to keep the door from being opened from the outside.
- Three steel pins securely lock the door closed within a 3” deep steel jamb pocket. The ESP’s design does not rely solely on deadbolts as the primary locking mechanism.
- The door on the Swisher ESP Safety Shelter has a 4th locking pin that can only be installed and removed from the inside. Even if the security deadbolt is damaged from the outside, with this pin properly installed, the door will never open (unless the inhabitants removing this pin).
- A single handle operation locks all three pins into place in a single motion. There is never any need to waste precious time trying to lock three or four deadbolts to secure your door.
- The ESP Shelter does not rely solely on hinges to support and secure the door to the hinge jamb. When our door is in the closed position the entire hinge side (top to bottom) is locked into the adjacent front wall. No screws to pull out or pins that may break.
- Shielded air vents allow uninterrupted air flow
- Quick release sliding door design allows opening when blocked by debris and reduces space required for operation
- Quick manipulating locking mechanism works in conjunction with a security grade latch/key lock
- Emergency panels for rapid shelter exit with an emergency wrench included
- Bolt together modular design for ease of construction and relocation
- Benches, shelving, built in gun racks and emergency type kits are available