Glass bead blasting will produce a clean, bright, satin finish without damaging or changing the dimensions of the parts. Works great for honing, polishing, blending, finishing, removing light scuffs and burrs, and cleaning most light foreign material. Also works well on small, fragile parts that cannot handle high tolerances of stress. Very economical because it can be screened and reused. Must be used in a blasting cabinet.
- Aluminum oxide leaves an open finish. Glass beads peen over the surface.
- 60 grit aluminum oxide gives a very flat finish if used prior to the application of paint.
- 120 grit aluminum oxide is the most common grit used prior to the application of Gun-Kote and similar finishes. Recommended by K6 finishes.
- 220 grit aluminum oxide gives a matte finish, a soft french gray.
- Medium glass bead gives a matte finish on stainless steel and a soft french gray finish on chrome moly steel.
- Extra-fine glass bead gives a soft satin finish on stainless steel.