Correcting Excess Cylinder Endshake on a S&W Revolver

When the cylinder of a revolver has a lot of front to back play or movement, it’s called end shake. It’s a problem that is easily corrected if you have the right parts. In this GunTec video Larry Potterfield, Founder and CEO of MidwayUSA, demonstrates the process for correcting the cylinder. After measuring for the exact amount of end shake using a feeler gage, he begins by removing the yoke retaining screw, the yoke, and the cylinder. Using a padded vise and some snap caps to protect the extractor, he disassembles the cylinder assembly. A Power Custom cylinder end shake bushing is used to take up the slack in the cylinder to yoke fit. These bushings measure only two thousandths of an inch thick. Once the bushing is lubricated it is dropped into the cylinder and the gun is reassembled and checked for proper fit.